Jan 29, 2008

Things worth Owning


When you are trying to live right, squashing materialism, I'm finding out that everything you own or want to own gets prioritized.

I realize that now anything in my home get scrutinized for usefulness. With a house this size, there is no way I can keep everything that comes in the door.

We've cut down on dishes, towels, bedding, etc. If we dont have a place for it, or if we dont use it everyday- it cant live here. We dont have the space. But there are a few exceptions.

My China. It's not a full set...mostly just teacups and a soup tureen and a few of the dishes. I use the teacup and little dessert plates in the rare occasion I actually let people in my house! They are about the only family heirloom I'll ever have, so I feel a strong attachment to them.

Musical instruments. We simply love them- and while the only instrument I play wont fit in our house (piano), I love being surrounded by these things.

Art supplies. Because if you dont have them- you cant create. You can, but it's fun to have a good supply of paint, clay, canvas', paper, etc.

Then there are things that are just treasures.

I like to make jewelry from time to time, and the best place to buy really cool beads is at bead shows or Gem faires. We went to one last weekend.

I held strand after strand of beautiful beads in my hands- agates, opals, turquoise, jades, etc. But one strand only won my heart. Sure I would use any of the beads if I got them- but how much do you really need?

I ended up buying a strand of Trade beads that are probably from Ghana, but not really "from" Ghana. These types of beads were used for trade with African tribes for centuries. I found a good article about this here: http://www.smithsonianeducation.org/migrations/beads/essay1.html

Now, this, in my opinion is worth owning. Items that have a story. Treaures that make you think, and imagine.

1 comment:

No one is you ...& that's your power said...

Hello just wanted to drop by and say I love your blog and reading it. I am going through a declutter at home and also I have stopped buying things and I am really trying to simplify my life. I love tea though!!, so wont stop buying tea
I took a good look at myself and I didnt like the way I was always buying clothes, bags , shoes to make my self feel better. Now I look at nature and look within myself for the answers. Also I dont want my children growing up thinking you need this or that latest item. I am teaching them to be thrifty and not wastefull and teaching them as best I can. I love car boot sales and pick up most items from them that we need . But now I look at wether I want it or need it!?
take care do pop in if you want x