Apr 27, 2007

The Happiest Place...

...on Earth; that's what they say. As many of you know, it has been a season of doubt and frustration; so, we took off for a long weekend in Disneyland.
First of all, thanks. It has been so good to recieve the support of our friends and fellow sojourners. I am a bit underwelmed at the male response, however...I mean, aren't there any guys reading this stuff? Come on men, step up! Okay, off my soap box. Anyway, a long drive and some time on another plane of reality has slowed the wheels a bit and helped us to see how far we've come.
We are in the world of bigger, better, more, faster; but, we seem to be walking a little slower and more purposeful then the others. Okay, before that is taken to be pompous and self-aggrandizing, I simply mean that the glitter of this place seems to WOW a little less than it used to. I notice it especially in our kids. We were here a year ago, on a family (extended) reunion--so to speak-- and it was terrible. We had a great time on the rides and made some great memories, but our kids went batty asking for every trinket, doll, hat, toy, and treat available...and let me remind you, there are thousands.
This year, Wyatt saved his money--we also gave him a little extra--and managed to find one small thing, below his budget that he wanted. Violet didn't ask for a thing until we asked her if she would like to get something, she also chose wisely. Carolyn and I managed to only buy the CD of a street musician that performed an amazing set of children's' blues. Check out his site (www.fattback.com) and you'll understand why...or you'll need to get out more ;)).
We spent quite a bit on the hotel and the park tickets, the food is exorbitantly expensive, but, I think it has been worth it. We are connecting to the kids here like we haven't in a while. I'm beginning to realize how tough this journey has been on them. Not because they needed to change all that much (after all they mostly follow our cues), but, because Carolyn and I have. We have spent a lot of time worrying, and strategizing...okay fine obsessing about simplifying when, in reality, we were completely missing the point. Thanks to all who reminded us of this.
We are on a journey, there is no destination. It should be an adventure; like Pirates of the Caribbean, or Peter Pan. Sometimes, it is going to feel like the Tea Cups, or Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. But, at the end of the day, each day, I want to crash into bed laughing and telling exhausted stories of the magic I experienced, the things I noticed for the first time, the things that are worth living for. I want to pass out and dream dreams that pale in comparison to the days I have had. I want my children to see me as they do here, in "The Happiest Place on Earth." I want them to know that I wasn't forcing them to live with less; but, to live more, with less holding them back from a wild and adventurous life.
It amazes me how quickly simplicity became another addiction, something to obtain and own. As we have said before, the rabbit hole goes a lot deeper than we thought, but, the crux of the matter is this...we have been bred to consume. Even when pursuing intangible things, we go after them like we can hold and own them.
Anyway, it's late, I'm the only one still awake and we are going into the park early tomorrow for one more day. I'm going to make it magical and--hold me to this--I'm going to bring the magic home and remember to find it everyday until it becomes a habit.

5 comments:

Hans Mundahl said...

Okay so I'm a guy stepping up - thanks for calling us out, Matt :)

Caren turned me onto y'all and I've got to say I've been impressed and happy to follow along. I like the idea of what you're doing and I see my own struggles reflected in your posts.

It seems to me you've stumbled on something pretty important here - that 'simplifying' isn't an end, but rather a path. It's not like you'll say, "Well, there, now our lives our simpler, Hoo-ah."

The tough thing for me isn't my choices, or even our family choices, it's everyone else! If every one of my daughter's grand parents, great grand parents, aunts and uncles even gives her one small item for, say, her birthday, that's well over a dozen gifts. That's a tough scene to negotiate every christmas / easter / valentines / etc / etc.

Well that's just my tired 2 cents - thanks again for letting us follow along with you!

Nicola said...

i am woman, hear me roar (sorry to not be another guy stepping up), but i completely agree with Hans when he comments on the choices of others. i am constantly battling family and friends for our right to simplify. we are struggling to declutter and a huge part of that is family/friend's inability to show their love and generosity in intangible, non-materialistic ways, and my inability to be ruthless (and what feels like rude to the giver) in saying "no" or about throwing things away. (it seems horrible to throw something away, when i can donate or Freecycle it, both of which take time and organization.) stuff really can own us and our time.

Matt Maszczak said...

To clarify: I enjoy all your comments, I was just beginning to feel an overwhelming imbalance in the estrogen to testosterone ratio ;))

Matt Maszczak said...

Also, I ran accross a great quote that speaks to this thread...
"Men (and I would add ,"Women") have become tools of their tools."
-Henry David Thoreau

Matt Maszczak said...

And...Thanks Hans for stepping up!