Apr 2, 2007

Feeling Normal


So, I realized this morning that I was having a normal day- as far as normal adults go. Someone could drop by and I wouldn't be mortified. My laundry is a little on the heavy side, but over all- my while house is in order.

This is mainly due to yesterdays birthday party for my son. We went buck wild cleaning up since his friends know no boundaries when it comes to our house. The go upstairs, they go into the shed, they go into closets.

Then, after the party, instead of crashing and being super lazy, I actually did the dishes and picked up everything. Weird.

Now, will I keep it up? I hope so. If only for the sake that it is Spring Break and I want friends to be able to come over and have it be, well, hospitable.

I have good friends- in fact, one blessed me this week by bringing me flowers. Not just a few in a plastic bag, but a barrel full(as seen in the picture!).

I got to thinking that maybe there's something about me that prevent me from feeling I deserve to live in a clean house or something. Maybe. That sound like some fancy psycho-analytical stuff.

Maybe if I deserve the flowers, I deserve the clean house too. Oh, I guess I should catch up on dishes....off I go.

3 comments:

Nicola said...

Beautiful flowers! What a nice friend. Your comment struck me...if you want to check out my blog, I posted something there yesterday about normal personality patterns and how we be behave and see ourselves. Perfect pscho-analystical stuff for ya! http://whichname.blogspot.com/
(I also added your blog as a link for others to check out.)

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, whether or not it's "psycho-analytical stuff" isn't the point... The question is, is it true? Are subtle impressions of yourself as unworthy undermining your efforts to take care of yourself and your space? I really picked up on your comment because I struggle with the same issue, and I have been thinking a lot these days that I need to take myself more seriously in this area. Good luck to you! You're an encouragement to so many of us!

PS: Have you ever read "The Dance of the Dissident Daughter" by Sue Monk Kidd? I'd be curious to know what you think... peace,
Caren

Carolyn said...

I havent read that book, but it's been recommended to me...I'll have to check it out!