Mar 30, 2007

Time

In simplifying, I have found that the most precious resource squandered in life is time. It's not really a suprise. We fill our schedules with clutter just like we fill our homes with clutter; usually for the very same reason.
"If I'm not busy, I must not be important."
Have you ever thought that? I have...far too often. In fact, that very statement has caused me a lot of troule in recent months. I didn't notice that the clutter problem had moved from my wallet to my planner until recently. Last night, we had dinner with some friends that we haven't seen in quite a while. They all asked where we had been and I proceeded to tell them about my hectic schedule, my tremendous comitments, and my lack of creative freedom.
"What ever happned to your video thing?" one asked me.
"I just haven't had any time," I replied. Why? Why didn't I have any time? Sure I work, so does almost everyone I know. Sure, I have kids, so do a lot of people. Sure, I have...wait a minute...I don't have a real excuse. In fact, I have been busying myself with many things that don't really need to be done. Things I don't even really want to do. Wow, this thing will creep up on you in the wierdest places.
A few years ago, I had the pleasure of traveling to Cambodia (if you ever get a chance, go; it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen) and during one of our excursions we got stuck in a downpour. One of the villagers offered us his home (hut) and we all-along with the family-sprawled out on the floor for a rest until the warm rain stopped. Everything shut down and everyone rested together, in the middle of the day. We layed there for an hour telling stories, singing songs, and took cat naps. I remember waking up feeling so rested and so alive.
Our "culture of more" requires too much movement. We commute to work, run to the store, drive the kids to soccer, ride the bus from school. I think that if we just slowed down enough to walk places-or better yet, lay down and watch it rain-we would feel less fragmented as people. If we could unclutter our calenders, our souls would have room to breath. We are surrounded by so much beauty (and I don't care what your surroundings, there is beauty there...if you're willing to see it) but we squander it to feel like we're worth something.
Our worth has never been contained in who we are, what we have, who we are, or how much we do. Unfortunatley, many of us-myself included- have often believed that lie. I'm going to stop. How about you?

4 comments:

Nicola said...

I am trying to do this too. How sad is it that it is really hard? Harder than decluttering possessions and avoiding buying new possessions.

turnip said...

I fear this problem is spreading to our children. I am reading "Last Child in the Woods" now about children losing connection with nature and free play. One of the problems that is discussed is how overscheduled children are. I hope to avoid this with mine. DH and I are also trying to make a concious effort to live a bit more slowly and to not take on too much...I am someone who always ends up too busy and I really need to work on this.
In addition...fast cluttered living gets expensive (both monetarily and environmentally)! If we don't slow down we eat fast or packaged food, and spend a lot of money for "convenience" cleaners ect.

willow said...

I am trying to have a "slow week" this week as the children are on school holidays but its not as easy as it sounds. Its only Monday but already I am getting twitchy about things that because I'm not rushing I haven't done. Its a mental attitude thing. What I really need to do is stop for long enough to consider if/why everything I usually do, needs to be done. Does that make any sense?!

Matt Maszczak said...

Total sense! I'm still learning too, but I have found that I slow down best by simply stopping. Sometimes that means turning off the phone and the TV, even the cd/radio and waiting until the fear of silence passes. I even find that when trying to slow down I begin reading like a madman. But, if I sit in the quiet-often with a journal-the speed of my mind slows down and I am able to really feel the breath of life in me again.
Kids can make it more difficult, but sometimes I find that if I just lay down on the floor and play with them, or look through a picture book with them, or-best of all-grab a crayon and color with them; we all slow down. Keep on trying, it's better than wishing for change without changing.