Feb 4, 2007

Like Riding a Bike


Last fall, my son learned to ride a bike. He was five and had come home from his friends house boldly proclaiming, "I want you to take off my training wheels Daddy." So I did. Then we took him to a nearby park--that is a lot more flat than our property--to send him on the beginning of a very long adventure. When we arrived, he donned his helmet, straddled the seat and pushed off. He coasted for an instant and then POW! He got up, dusted himself off and tried again...POW! After several trys and a little coaching he pushed off again and went almost ten feet until the front wheel turned and he ate it, hard (thank goodness for the facemask). He screamed in frustration and kicked his bike. "I can't do it!" I know just how he feels.

As we pulled into the driveway late last night, the brakes on our van went. It's also time for new tires. Both Carolyn and I have teeth that hurt and the estimate to fix them is well beyond what our insurance will cover. A lot of the kids spring clothes don't fit anymore. I've ruined two of my best work shirts in the past few weeks. We need a new rug (seriously this is a need...trust me, we've thought it out in painstaking finality). Our savings are low. Our bills are high. I can't do this!

(Deep sigh) I am so amazed at how expensive life seems some times. It is no wonder there are so many poor people in this world. When I get into a cycle of depression because of concerns about money it urks me, which sends me swirling deeper into depression. This is a hard time for me. The fire in my belly is waning. I feel like it doesn't matter how much I cut out, cut back, give up, sacrifice; there is no end to the stress that money brings me.

Money traps me. Or, at least, I let it trap me. I have been trying to honestly assess my emotional reaction to financial concerns since we started this journey and I've realized that I have a LONG way to go. The problems with consumerism are much more deeply embedded than I previously thought. I thought that giving up the rat race was a sure way to defeat my fear but, at the moment, it seems to have thrust me directly into the belly of the beast.

Let me give you an example. My depression, coupled with sick kids, a hectic month, and a tired wife have casued a lot of tension in our household lately. My only time of solitude is during lunch, so I snuck away and drove to catch my breath. I found my self pulling into a dozen different retailers looking for a fix...literally. For some reason, the first thing that came to my mind in crisis was, "buy something, it'll make you feel better." I resisted the urge, but the realization was terrifying.

Anyway, I have nothing pithy to say. I'm just trying to learn how to ride this bike. Hopefully, like my son, I will be able to saddle up and do it. He worked through the tears and nailed it on the next try. It's amazing what kids can teach you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you might want to check out The complete Tightwad Gazette, by Amy Dacyczyn. A somewhat amusing, somewhat alarming, and almost always incredibly useful book on frugalizing. And it likens what you are doing to going on a diet!

Carolyn said...

We actually need to replace our area rug! It's about 5' by 7'. And it's nasty and tough to clean.

I know nothing about rug making! Yu should email me! cdmaze@gmail.com.

Both Matt and I are depressed right now- especially realizing how much we've depended on spending to comfort us. And how much money interferes in our relationship.

Thanks for the book suggestions- I've been pretty successful at doing trades lately- I'll see what I can do.

And Matt-- hang in there, babe. We're in this together.

Hans Mundahl said...

My wife turned me onto your site - good luck in your struggles, and thanks for letting us come along.

Matt Maszczak said...

We're glad you're all here!

Anonymous said...

Is there a Freecycle community in your area? www.freecycle.org
Everything is free. Or free listings on craigslist? My guess is you could find a decent rug and kids clothes through that. I know I have gotten great stuff for free through both and have given stuff away as well. What goes around comes around. I wish we lived near you. You could borrow our carpet cleaner.

Carolyn said...

I have checked out Freecycle a couple times...we live in a rural area and the closest town doesnt seem to have much going on. But I haven't given it a fair chance. It's probably like thrifting- I've got to be diligent!

Anonymous said...

You can also post "wanteds" to Freecycle, so you can post that you are seeking a new area rug (and a description of what you have in mind) and kids spring clothes and sizes. Also, as you declutter, you can give back to the Freecycle community and keep stuff out of the trash. I am amazed at what some people ask for or want (that I think is garbage)! Hang in there. Every little bit helps and you guys are doing more than a little bit! I have really enjoyed following your journey and gaining inspiration from it!

Anonymous said...

What about Freecycle where Matt works?

Anonymous said...

oh, i'm sorry you're at this point. it's always hard to get over that hump. you'll do it. don't lose hope.

some books i have for inspiration now are, 'how to live well without a car' (http://www.simpleliving.net/main/item.asp?itemid=954)

and 'voyaging on a small income' by annie hill... (http://www.simpleliving.net/main/item.asp?itemid=954)

just for inspiration. especially having read the one about the car, you may find that you *can* (or one of you) afford to quit your job... especially if that affords you the time to do things for the family's benefit that you now pay someone else to do (preparing food, for instance.) it's well worth considering.

then you can arm-wrestle for which of the two of you gets to quit!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.