Feb 20, 2007

un-Holy Crap!

Ok- another post concerning how much crap we own.

I am drowning in a sea of laundry. This is totally ridiculous. And it's like this ALL THE TIME. I can think of maybe twice where our laundry what caught up to a normal level - twice in our almost ten year marriage.

We have downsized our clothing tremendously- we got rid of almost a dozen black garbage bags last summer. I'm serious. We *thought* we went right down to the basics. And we were close but look at our mess!!!

I keep thinking if we had less- it couldnt get this bad. But, what the heck is wrong with me?


I'd like to blame my washer /dryer entirely, but that wouldn't be fair. We have a stackable unit-thing, and the load sizes are smallish. I probably would do at least a little better with bigger capacity machines- but thats an issue right now. I tend to always want bigger/better everything, and the jury is out on whether this is me wanting bigger or NEEDING bigger. (advice welcome, by the way)

We are a family of five with one real closet and clothing storage is a constant problem.

This post contains no wisdom- just complaining and flaunting our problems. Enjoy.

Oh, and yes, in one picture you can see some nasty baby-stained sheets. I hate paper diapers.

4 comments:

FillingMyQuiver said...

Oh mama, I can hear the frustration in your post. I'm so sorry you are feeling this way.
Looking at the pictures, I honestly have to say, I think you need to do some more downsizing. I would suggest you go through your clothing. Maybe this could help you out:
http://www.flylady.com/pages/msp_bed_closet_clutter.asp
I struggled for a while w/ buying clothes. It made me so happy, the thrill of shopping, the way I felt in a new outfit. Until I realozed my closet was overflowing and I wasn't happy. Keep downsizing until you have only what truly fits you, makes you feel wonderful to wear, and you love on you (or the kids).
As far as laundry, I have found that when I stick to my schedule of 1 load per day, I do okay. I throw the load in as soon as I get up and leave the bedroom in the morning. I throw it in the dryer when it's done in the washer, then I fold it either while the kiddos play for a bit, or while they nap. Put it away when done folding.
Now with your smaller W/D, you may find you have to do more loads per day. But make it a point to fold/ put away the clothes by the end of the day. Keeping up w/ laundry takes a conscious effort, just like any other routine change. But I know you can do it.
I have also found that having 3 baskets for laundry makes it easier, lights, darks, and sheets/towels. When a basket is full, that's the laundry that gets done that morning. I will teach the kids to put their clothes in the baskets instead of on the floor, just like I am gently working w/ DH. One step at a time. That's how you have to approach it.
I hope I've been helpful.

Nicola said...

I agree. You may need to do another pass through to be rid of more clothes. Regular washing and drying, but I strongly agree with putting clothes away. I tend to let the baskets of clean laundry build up, but the house is so much tidier when I load all the clean clothes into baskets, fold it, and put it away. Maybe most importantly, I have discovered in our own path towards a simpler life, that it is almost as important to organize what we choose to keep as it is to declutter what we don't use. The clothes you do keep should find a home. Some of what I think I see in your photos are not clothes. try and find a place for everything, evne if it means breaking the rule and buying some drawers or more pop up baskets. And I hate paper diapers too. We are a cloth household and like it that way, stains and all.

Anonymous said...

I'm just chiming in to say that my house looks like this often enough! You are not alone! I have been so encouraged by your blog over the past couple of months. I just wanted you to know that for Lent this year I am giving up buying anything new, and only buying to replace what I already have. Also, I am making a Lenten discipline of giving away 5 items each day. Thank you for your inspiration!

turnip said...

I gave away two HUGE boxes of my clothes and am still totally overwhelmed with how much we have to go. Part of me is fed up and just wants to chuck it all and start over, but that wouldn't be a good idea either! What is it about us accumulating clothes...is it an American thing or something else? I know its not a "girl" thing because every guy I know does it too.
I really enjoyed your last post about Treasure. Its great advice...amazing what children can teach us.