Feb 9, 2007

Love sick puppy dog

I guess I was born that way. I've always pined over boys. I'm not sure what I feel about that as a feminist.

Matt's out of town...again, so, I am mopey. (aren't we the most emotional people you've ever seen?) I was thinking today about how I feel. I feel like I did in High School when I had a crush on somebody.

When I had a crush on someone, which was all the time, everyday had hope and promise of *something* good, whether it would be a smile from the boy, or that he might actually talk to me. And some days I thought maybe he'd actually pick me up off the ground and carry me away as he proclaimed his love for me. Well, that almost never happened. :)

So, when whatever boy it was didn't show up for school, I pretty much had no reason to live for that day and the day would drag on miserably. I remember thinking it would be better to just pass out and sleep until the next time I could see him.

So, fast forward to college, when someone actually did scoop me up and carry me away, proclaiming his love for me. (now I'm talking about Matt, by the way)

The silly pining away has not stopped and although I now care for his children, I still feel like life is sort of lame when Matt's not around.

Now, this is not as bad as it seems- I have plenty of purpose and hobbies and life of my own to live, I'm just a sap.

So, I decided I'd try to make lemonade out of these crazy lemons and bake. I have that new-to-me pastry blender, right? So, I'm making scones for my friend who's been shut in all week with sick kids.

SO, I feel better- it sort of makes that whiney, mopey lovesick High School girl in me buck up and be a woman.

By the way- here's my scone recipe:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/3 cup sugar

1 stick of butter (cold) cut into pieces

Combine first four ingredients, the cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.

In another bowl, combine:

1/2 cup heavy cream
1 large egg
1/2 dried cranberries
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
zest of lemon

Combine both bowls and mix until you have to knead the dough, then turn it out onto a floured surface and knead a few more times.

Slice into wedges, brush with a little cream, and bake at 425 degrees for however log you'd like to- I like them underdone, so, about 15 minutes.

Enjoy--and do the right thing- make a pot of tea with them, or a good cup or coffee!

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Yeah- we we'd both like to be stay at home parents- like permanent vacation.

turnip said...

I must say I LOVE that picture of you wearing your baby while working! Awesome.
As a Navy wife I totally understand that no matter how empowered we can be, it still sucks when the one you love is away. Keeping busy helps though, especially when you learn something new and self-sufficient.