Mar 4, 2007

Cabin Fever

So, after last week and it's storms, I was left feeling a little wacked.

Wyatt had a snow day on Wednesday, and the other days were late starts- where they wait until the plow finishes (or until the plow operator go off their breaks). So we were all messed up and off our regular routine.

The problem is- I was here....alot. Looking around, watching piles grow. Wondering where the heck to put wet snow boots and snow pants. Trying to keep mud off my beloved couch. Watching "The Last Unicorn" more times than I can stomach.

Cabin fever.

I've heard people up in Canada and other cold places actually get sores from being indoors so long. I can see that. I didn't get any sores, but I grew a nice little crop of discontent.

I start looking around at these walls- they are pretty close together. Theres no where to go with anything. No closet to stuff things in, no garage to pile up boxes. Just this space. No place for backpacks, no plack for Wyatts stick collection. No bathtub. No dishwasher. I cant bring my piano here. I cant set up my sewing machine. I cant set up my easel like I did in the last place. No air conditioning. No room for a stove. No flat areas outside. No place for Violet to ride a tricycle. No place for patio furniture.

Did I mention no bathtub? (oh, I did...)

I love this house? Sometimes. But alot of the time it makes me insane. It makes me face that I have too much crap. It makes me think about what I really need to live.

I just need to survive the Cabin Fever long enough to not have a breakdown and start pulling real estate flyers. And perhaps a little bit of good old counting of blessings would be appropriate right now.

At least I have a cabin, right?

3 comments:

Matt Maszczak said...

I love you!

Nicola said...

Matt's response made me smile. :)
Personally, I am SO envious of your cabin! Where did you live before? Bigger town? Bigger house? Fewer kids! Would you like ideas for some solutions? I don't want to throw them your way if they aren't wanted, because, personally, I know sometimes I just need to gripe and before I can feel even a bit better.

Matt Maszczak said...

We always welcome new ideas. Please email us, the link is at the top right hand side of our blog. In response to you other questions...see the newest post. Thanks.