Mar 7, 2007

Where we come from...(Carolyn)



It all started on a sunny morning in Southern California....ok, I wont do that to you either....much.

I was born in Southern California to middle class parents in a growing middle class neighborhood. When I was 4 my dad was transferred to New Jersey, which was a huge change for my very Californian parents.

My dad loved New Jersey- and nearly dumped his telecom career for farming. My mom was ok with it too- she fell in love with antiques, but missed California. I was crushed at 9 when my parents decided to move to Northern California. I was leaving my green field and my woods for a barren concrete backyard behind an ugly stucco track house.

We lived in the San Francisco Bay Area throughout my Junior High and High School years- going from house to house (my parents liked to move). I wanted to become a fashion designer (my worldview was a TAD different back then), and decided on FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising) in San Francisco. I love that city and was told I'd probably do well at that school. But my parents felt I needed to go to Christian College for at least a year- then
I could go to design school.

So, I visited a couple- one of which was in New York that we were able to see while visiting friends from New Jersey. I eventually choose Nyack, and so that next summer- I was off to New York.

I met Matt at college and we were engaged in my second semester. I dropped out of college before we got married and got a job as a dispatcher in the town Matt grew up in. I felt I had found my career! I loved that job. There was possibility of me going to police academy if I choose to, and the pay was great.

We were both working so much after we got married, and like my mom, I was really missing California. So, we moved.

I tried for almost a year to get a dispatching job here, but ultimately the departments were run differently, and the wouldn't just hire any old kid that came in the door- there was a ton of applicants for each position. So I gave up on that an took random boring clerical jobs.

When I got pregnant with Wyatt I was working for our friends who are Chiropractors- this was my first job here that I enjoyed. But after having Wyatt, I realized I was not going to want to work. I had found myself. I was a mother. And I couldnt have been more surprised.

I desparatley wanted a home to take care of and settle down in and hated our apartments. But with Matt working for the church- buying a home was impossible. When he changed jobs...I quickly begged for a house and put an offer on one. The only one we could afford.

It was important to me to get back what I'd lost when my family left New Jersey- I wanted my kids to be able to wander around in open space and hide in a grove of trees. So, we choose to move to the end of the road in a rural gold rush town.

I am sort of living my dream life right now. I love this community- I have amazing friends, and this town is about as Mayberry-ish as it gets. We get snow a few weeks a year and its not too hot in the summer. And we're 35 minutes to the nearest traffic light.

So, my only job outside the home is doing co-op preschool. Ok, not a real job, but it's work, and I find it tremendously furfilling. I love circle time- it is my chance to sing and be hammy without any critcism!!!

I hope thats a sufficient amount of info. I'm not the writer here...Matt is. (and he is frequently annoyed by my abuse of puncuation!)

3 comments:

Sara said...

Thanks for sharing your story...it was fun to read both your side and Matt's side. What a fun journey...God is so good. Blessings!

Carolyn said...

Thanks! It was alot more fun than posting about our simple living struggles!

Anonymous said...

Carolyn and Matt,
Thanks to both of you for sharing a bit of background on your journey. My dh and I met at a small Christian college (Gordon, in MA) as well, so I feel some kinship with you! Be encouraged that your journey is an encouragement to my husband and I, all the way out here in NH!