Jan 20, 2007

Searching out the footholds

I hear people talk about Satan having "footholds" in their lives. In this time of renewing my faith, I'm still painfully aware of things that seem to never change in me.

Like my sense of entitlement.

I realize that no matter how much I simplify and get in the groove of real life and out of wanting stuff, I STILL feel like I should someday have better.

I'm mostly talking about this house. Through all the fondness I feel for this place, and all my determination to change the way I look at what I need- I harbor this tiny voice that says, "Yeah, but...come on! How much longer are you going to stay here?"

I realize that this is something I'm going to have to pulverize. I've got to continually let go of this little tiny voice and move beyond it.

I have so many little things like this that I write off as natural or reasonable. But that doesn't make them right. I've got this inner yucky person that creeps out now and them- climbing up into my daily life on these footholds that I ignore.

As I'm trying to be vigilant with my possessions, it's times I'm vigilant with myself. Yuck.

2 comments:

Kara said...

Inspiring, thought provoking post ... a good reminder that this is more than just about clutter or finances or (not)shopping ... it is a spiritual journey, too.

Best Wishes!

RYC - you've got a deal! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Practicing acceptance is hard to balance with rejecting those parts of ourselves that need to go. However, I often find the process to be connected... When I am truly able to accept myself, then I am able to evaluate what I need to change with a clear head. Blessings to you in your journey... I am sure that your road leads to peace.

(I'm the MDC mama that e-mailed you last week. I LOVE your blog and your project!)